Seat Reservations, Sleeper and Couchette Tickets
To be certain you will travel in comfort, you can purchase a reservation:
- for a seat (seat reservation or seat reservation with a reservation for a bicycle)
- in a couchette carriage (couchette supplement)
- in a sleeper carriage (sleeper supplement)
Sleeper and couchette supplements can be purchased for inland transport in ČD carriages and Železničná spoločnosť Slovensko carriages.
Where to purchase a seat reservation
A seat reservation can be purchased in a ČD ticket office, from a ČD ticket vending machine, in the ČD e-shop, using the TeleTiket service, and from 13 December 2015 also from a conductor on board the train. On a train with required seat reservations, it is possible to purchase a seat reservation from the conductor for this train or for another train (advance sales). On other trains, it is only possible to purchase a seat reservation for another train (advance sales).
The sale of reservation documents is generally initiated 60 days prior to the train’s scheduled departure.
Sales are terminated according to the type of reservation and the handling station as follows:
|Type of Reservation||Termination of Sales|
|seat reservation for category railjet, EC, IC, EN, Ex and Rx trains, sleeper, couchette||2 hours prior to the train’s scheduled departure form its originating station|
|seat reservation for selected R and Sp trains||2 hours prior to the train’s scheduled departure form its originating station|
|seat reservation for railjet trains, SC trains, for trains requiring a reservation and for trains with express reservation seating and for seats in other R and Sp trains||at the time of the train’s scheduled departure from the boarding station (for delayed inland transport max. 480 minutes after its scheduled departure)|
Groups of 6 or more persons can use the ordering system for groups and can thus receive free seat reservations or reservations of seats on the train. More information on travelling in a group.
Groups of passengers of 6 or more persons who did not use the ordering system for groups may order reservations of seats in second carriage class on trains or in carriages that are not included in the reservation system (i.e. it is not possible to purchase seat reservations for them) at the ticket counter no later than 7 days prior to the planned departure date. For reserving the seats, they will pay a fee of CZK 20 for each seat. The number of seats must be equal to the number of travel documents presented. ČD reserves the right to refuse an order to reserve seats if such seats cannot be secured for operational reasons.
A reservation document is valid only in combination with a valid ticket and only to the station specified therein.
Passengers forfeit their claim to the reserved seat if they do not occupy it within 15 minutes following the train’s departure from the boarding station specified on the reservation document. If the journey is interrupted, the reservation document ceases to be valid at the station where the journey was interrupted.
Terms and Conditions for Using Reserved Seats
- On category railjet, EC, IC, EN, Ex and Rx trains, and on selected category R trains it is possible to reserve any seat. Reserved seats on these trains are typically marked prior to departure from the originating station with reservation tickets (or displayed electronically) placed in the corresponding frames for specific seats in individual carriages. The reservation ticket contains information on the reserved segments, journey date, train number, carriage and seat for which it was issued.
- On category railjet, EC, IC, Ex and Rx trains, and selected category R trains a certain number of seats are set aside with sales up to the time of the train’s scheduled departure from the boarding station. These seats are included in the express reservation system and are marked as such in the train. On these reservation tickets the reserved segment is not listed, nor is the journey date or seat number; there is only a notice stating that it is necessary to make such seats available to passengers with a valid seat reservation. These seats can be reserved for any segment for the duration of the train’s journey.
- On category SC trains, in 1st class "Business" on railjet trains and on other selected trains, a seat reservation is required. These seats are not marked as it is possible to reserve them for any segment for the duration of the train’s journey. Only passengers with a valid seat reservation purchased in advance may board these trains.
- If the passenger requires a seat in a reserved carriage for a child up to 6 years of age, he or she is required to purchase a seat reservation for such a child. One seat reservation can be used for two children up to 6 years of age provided both children occupy only one seat.
- When ordering a reservation for a seat set aside for passengers with reduced or restricted mobility or orientation it is necessary to state this circumstance and to demonstrate eligibility at the time of purchase as well as at the time of ticket inspection.
Terms and Conditions for Using Reserved Seats in Accommodation Carriages
- Seat reservations in accommodation carriages differ according to type of supplement, train category and quality of services. Accommodation services are normally divided into services in sleeper carriages, in couchette carriages and in carriages with specially modified interiors and seats for overnight passenger transport (sleeperette). Reservation documents are issued according to this division, sleeper supplements for sleeper carriages, couchette supplements for couchette carriages and seat reservations for carriages with specially modified interiors and seats for overnight passenger transport.
- Sleeper carriages have 1st and 2nd class compartments which are reserved separately for men and women. Passengers of mixed gender who wish to use a compartment together must pay for supplements and tickets at a regular fare for any empty berths. Children up to 10 years of age accompanied by an adult may be placed in a compartment regardless of their gender. For use of a bed of the category Single Deluxe, Double Deluxe or Triple Deluxe (a compartment with private WC and shower, breakfast included), it is necessary to present a travel document issued for 1st class travel. For use of a bed of the category Triple, Double and Single, possibly also joint Family compartments, it is sufficient to present a travel document issued for 2nd class travel.
- The transport of animals is excluded in sleeper carriages (except for guide and assistance dogs, if their owner and any accompanying persons purchase tickets and sleeper cards for the entire compartment for exclusive use).
- Couchette carriages have 2nd class compartments for men and women together (with the exception of certain connections). In the compartment there are four or six berths. To use a berth it is necessary to present a travel document issued for 2nd class travel.
- If one child or two children up to 6 years of age together use one sleeper or couchette berth, only one sleeper or couchette supplement must be paid; no fare is paid, however. If one child or two children from 6 to 10 years of age together use one sleeper or couchette berth, only one sleeper or couchette supplement must be paid; fare is paid for each child separately. For every child from 10 to 15 years of age it is necessary to pay the fare and sleeper or couchette supplement separately.
- Seats are usually converted for sleeping after 22:00 and for sitting after 8:00. By agreement among all passengers in the compartment this can occur at different times; if after 21:00 at least one passenger in a sleeper compartment wishes to convert the berth for sleeping, all berths in the compartment will be converted. Reservation documents for these seats can be purchased only from the carriage attendant. Reservation documents for an entire compartment can be purchased at any ticketing purchase point.
- Upon boarding a carriage, passengers are required to hand over to the carriage attendant all travel documents and leave them with him for the duration of the journey (except for passes for MPs and senators).
- It is not permitted to bring live animals onto the carriage except for small live animals in closed crates with impermeable bottoms and dogs, which are permitted provided the passenger has his or her own compartment; outside the compartment the dog must be kept on a leash and must have a muzzle.
- The carriage attendant will wake the passenger at a time specified by the passenger or no later than 30 minutes prior to the passenger’s destination station and will return the passenger’s travel documents upon exiting the train.
- Seat reservations in carriages with modified interiors and seats for overnight passenger transport are handled in the same manner as seat reservations for daytime tansport.
- In special cases for certain types of overnight trains the price for the fare or a supplement for special supplementary service is tied to the price of the sleeper or couchette supplement.