What is compensation?
Things don’t always go as planned. You will receive financial compensation as an apology from us if there is a train delay of 60 minutes or more, or if selected standards are not fulfilled.
ČD compensates passengers in the sense of Regulation (EC) No. 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on rail passengers’ rights and obligations, and the ČD Contractual and Transport Terms for Public Passenger Railway Transport (SPPO) for train delays under the rules specified below.
What kind of compensation will you receive?
- 25% off the ticket price, provided the total fare for a one-way journey for an individual passenger is at least CZK 400 in the case of a delay of 60 to 119 minutes
- 50% off the ticket price, provided the total fare for a one-way journey for one passenger is at least CZK 200 in the case of a delay of 120 minutes or more
or a one-off compensation for holders of IN 100 tickets in the amount of:
- CZK 50 for a delay of 60 to 119 minutes,
- CZK 100 for a delay of 120 or more minutes.
A passenger has the right to a reasonable reimbursement of expenses for accommodation up to CZK 500 per person if he or she refuses to exercise his or her right to complete the journey by means of an alternative method (e.g. a taxi service).
How do you exercise a claim for compensation?
- Fill in the request for compensation form (you can obtain it here or at a ČD ticket counter), and include with it the originals of all documents. Holders of IN 100 tickets should include the original confirmation of the train’s delay issued by the conductor and the copy of the front side of the relevant In Karta card.
- Submit the filled-in request form within six months following the first day of the travel document’s term of validity at a ČD ticket counter or send it directly to the following address: České dráhy, a.s. – Claims Processing Facility (OPT), Department of Portioning, Clearing and Reconciliation of Relationships in Passenger Transport, Vídeňská 15, 772 11 Olomouc, CZECH REPUBLIC.
The request will be processed within one month from the day of its submission by sending a credit note to the passenger’s address or by refusing the request with due explanation and justification.
Non-fulfilment of selected standards
If, on a category R, Rx, Ex, IC, EC, SuperCity, railjet or EN train, the following standards of transport comfort were not upheld, the passenger shall have a claim to a one-off compensation in the amount of CZK 30, which the conductor will issue right on the train and which can be used to pay for other ČD services. The conductor will issue the compensation only after presenting a valid travel document.
- a 1st class carriage is missing and the passenger presents a travel document valid for 1st class,
- the planned number of carriages was not deployed and a passenger with a valid travel document has to stand,
- guaranteed 230 V electrical sockets are missing and the passenger presents a valid reservation for such a carriage,
- in a carriage included according to the composition plan, there is not a functional guaranteed Wi-Fi internet connection for reasons on ČD’s side,
- in a carriage included according to the composition plan, a comfortable temperature was not maintained due to non-functional air-conditioning, forced ventilation or heating, and the passenger could not be adequately re-seated.
A maximum of two compensations for non-fulfilment of selected standards can be applied within a single payment.
A credit note issued as compensation for non-fulfilment of selected standards can also be used in a dining or bistro carriage where service is provided by the company JLV, a.s., but only aboard the train on which it was issued, for:
- retrieving a coffee or tea or carbonated / non-carbonated water (without a supplementary charge),
- partial payment of the price for other items from the JLV offerings (with a supplementary charge).