The ČD network of overnight trains, with special carriages for sleeping, is operated jointly by ČD and foreign partner carriers. They connect the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland and Poland. Aboard ČD sleeper and couchette carriages, it is possible to travel overnight to a range of major European cities in great comfort, without stress, and in an environmentally friendly way.
ČD sleeper and couchette carriage destinations
Where ČD overnight trains travel
Within the scope of the Nightjet overnight travel concept, it is possible to travel around Europe aboard other overnight trains as well – from Austria to Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium
Services in ČD sleeper and couchette carriages
While you sleep, the sleeper or couchette carriage personnel will attend your comfort and ensure that nighttime quiet hours are observed. Meanwhile, our train will transport you safely to your destination. Select a sleeper or couchette carriage for your overnight travel around Europe according to your needs and requirements for privacy, safety and comfort.
The service on board sleeper carriages offers a hearty breakfast included in the ticket price which is served by the JLV attendant. The breakfast includes your choice of hot beverage – coffee with milk or tea (black, fruit or green), a cold beverage (100% fruit juice and still mineral water), a sweet breakfast (jam, honey and butter), or a cheese breakfast variant with packaged bread and wafer.
Passengers travelling on sleeper or couchette carriages with the JLV service can purchase small refreshments during the journey – from cold beverages to an offering of small refreshments and small hot foods.
Where a ČD sleeper carriage will take you: Poprad, Košice, Bratislava, Liptovský Mikuláš, Spišská Nová Ves, Michalovce, Humenné, Prešov, Štúrovo, Zurich, Buchs, Sargans, Innsbruck, Kraków, Warsaw, Katowice, Budapest, Vác
Why travel in a sleeper carriage?
- The most comfortable and safe way to travel aboard overnight trains
- Available compartment types include Economy (with a shared shower and WC) or Deluxe (with your own shower and WC)
- One-berth, two-berth or three-berth compartments with air conditioning
- Separate compartments for men and women (unless you’re travelling as a couple or with a family)
- The compartment door is non-transparent and equipped with a safety lock and peephole
After 10:00 p.m., the train personnel will enforce quiet hours and a safe sleeping environment
- A made bed - quilted blanket and pillow with hollow fiber filling, bed sheets
- Hygiene packet included – towel, soap, hotel slippers, single-use toothbrush and toothpaste, shower gel if applicable
- Wake-up service at an arranged time prior to arrival
- Your choice of breakfast with a hot beverage and in-seat service
- The carriage attendant is present throughout the night to ensure security, undisturbed sleep and cleanliness in the shared toilets
You can order refreshments from the menu of hot and cold refreshments and beverages; the JLV attendant will serve them in your compartment
Arrangement of sleeper berths
- Single: A one-berth compartment for one person
Double: A two-berth compartment for two people (individual berths can also be reserved, in which case you will share the compartment with another passenger – women and men separately)
If travelling as a couple, a man and women may travel together if the ticket is purchased jointly.
Triple: A three-berth compartment for three people (individual berths can also be reserved, in which case you will share the compartment with other passengers – women and men separately)
If travelling as a group or family, individuals may travel together if the ticket is purchased jointly.
Sleeper compartment equipment
- Economy compartment with small sink, shared shower and toilet located at the end of the carriage
- Deluxe compartment with its own shower, sink, toilet, shower gel and towels
- The 183 x 74 cm berths (lower and middle) are equipped with high-quality mattresses with a protective covering
- Small tables for breakfast, ability to convert the compartment for seating
- Adjustable air conditioning and heating
- Safety locks, with card keys on the newest type of carriage
- 230V power sockets for charging your electronics
- Hotel telephone for direct contact with the carriage attendant
Free Wi-Fi on the territory of the Czech Republic
3D photographs and tour of ČD sleeper carriages
Sleeper carriage type WLABmz – destinations Slovakia (direction Poprad, Košice), Switzerland and Poland
Sleeper carriage type WLABmee – destinations Slovakia (south) and Hungary
Why travel in a couchette carriage?
- For travel in a group of up to 6 persons
- Travel for youth and mixed groups of passengers
- Comfortable low-cost travel
- Mineral water included in the price of the ticket
- Wake-up service at an arranged time prior to arrival
- The carriage attendant is present throughout the night to ensure security in the carriage and cleanliness in the shared toilets
- It is possible to purchase breakfast from the JLV attendant, which is served from the neighbouring sleeper carriage
You can order breakfast and refreshments from the menu of hot and cold refreshments and beverages; the JLV attendant will serve them in your compartment
Arrangement of couchette berths
- 4-berth compartment: A compartment with 4 couchette berths (2 berths on each side, one above the other; when reserving it is possible to select the preferred type of berth – upper or lower)
- 6-berth compartment: A compartment with 6 couchette berths (3 berths on each side, positioned above one another; when reserving it is possible to select the preferred type of berth – upper, middle or lower)
Compartments are mixed for men and women. When reserving, berths are not allocated by gender in the compartment.
Couchette compartment equipment
- A blanket, sheets and a pillow with a clean pillow case on each berth (the couchette berth is prepared and made up by the passenger)
- A shared washroom and WC are available at the end of the carriage
- 174 x 66 cm upholstered couchette berths
- Air conditioning and adjustable heating
- The compartment can be locked from inside with a lock and security chain
230V power sockets for charging your electronics
3D photographs and tour of ČD couchette carriages
Includes a hot beverage (coffee with milk or tea of your choice – black, fruit or green), a cold beverage (100% apple or orange juice and still mineral water), a sweet (jam, honey, butter) or non-sweet (cream cheese, butter) breakfast of your choice, wafer and 2 pieces of packaged multi-grain bread. Passengers can purchase additional individual items from the attendant. In the Economy category, breakfast is served in a paper box; in the Deluxe category, beverages are served in a porcelain mug and breakfast is served on a tray.
The method of serving breakfast and its composition may change during the coronavirus pandemic according to current measures and restrictions in individual countries and regions.
It includes a towel, packaged soap, hotel slippers, toothbrush with toothpaste, drinking water for rinsing the mouth (in the Deluxe category, Geneva Green shower gel and mouldable earplugs are also included). It is possible to purchase mouldable earplugs from the attendant separately.
The sleeper or couchette carriage attendant will sell hot and cold beverages, small snacks and small cold food items from the menu (on selected routes, hot food items are available as well).
Automobile train – we’ll take your car on holiday too
For passengers travelling overnight on the Prague – Poprad – Košice – Humenné route, we offer comfortable transport of your vehicles – cars and motorcycles together with sleeper carriages for car occupants. Cars and motorcycles can be transported overnight from Praha hl.n. to the Slovak cities of Poprad, Košice and Humenné.